Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It smells like salt and funnel cakes. I stand, watching the watercolors of teal churn in steady currents before they reach up, bend over, and crash down onto the pebbly shore in a tumble of seafoam. I hear the sound of the waves crashing, bubbles foaming, gulls shrieking madly, and the utter droning of rushing water as it sweeps over my feet. Goosebumps prickle up my legs and my toes sink into the now-slimy sand. The salty breeze lifts up my hair from my shoulders as I feel the grains of salt sting my eyes and race over my skin. But I’m not cold. The sun’s warm breath bathes me. I take one step forward and enjoy the feel of the cool sea gushing at my ankles. It sends a shudder of anticipation up my spine and my heart pounds. With the gritty seashells embedded below my feet, I anxiously take another step forward...

5 comments:

  1. Rachel Bo Bachel This Is Amber!!!!! I changed my blog location. Its all the same posts and stuff just at a different address. Its http://amberpowers-papergirl.blogspot.com/ so go check it out!! And I love you! You're such a good writer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ^^^ hey that girl has the same name as me wierdddd


    but anyways i love the way you write it makes me feel like im at the beach again when i was little :]
    funfunfunfun

    ReplyDelete
  3. RACHEL!!!!!!
    You have no idea how sad your comment made me!! :(
    I MISS YOU!!!!
    Drivers Ed sucks..but it wouldn't if you were there! :) I really miss you and Sofia!
    When I walk by our lunch spot on the lawn, I giggle and smile to myself(:

    And I still have your CD so I have to get that to you!

    MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. RACHEL OMG GUESS WHAT I JUST FOUND OUT?!?!

    YOU MIGHT ALREADY KNOW THIS BUT YOU DIDN'T TELL ME!!!!!!!!!!!

    UGLIES IS GOING TO BE A MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment you left me on my blog, GotShovel! I'm an author, too (as you might have guessed from my blog).

    The excerpt you posted is beautiful. It's got a lot of feeling and is very vivid. Your writing is awesome!

    God bless!
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete